ThinkExist Dynamic daily quotation

Monday, May 3, 2010

Apparently, Polenta is NOT a Favorite Around Here.

     It's nights like tonight that make me wonder if my kids (yes, and even my husband) have any taste at all. I mean really. Who wouldn't go for some deliciously sauteed and ever so nicely spiced turkey cutlets complete with homemade chile cheese polenta (and salad on the side)?! Oh right, my kids and hubs. 

     Between 15 min potty breaks and the constant reminder that "salad is to eat, not to throw" (directed primarily to my 2 yr old) we finished dinner a grueling 45 min later with a side show to boot. Both the 5 yr old and 3 yr old could hardly stomach, let alone swallow such a repulsive dish and this led to several gagging bouts at the table. And not just your average gag and quick swallow with a wash down of water... oh no! We had eyes tearing up, swallowing a little vomit perhaps, and even a run to the toilet when the 5yr old couldn't take it any longer. And that was all for 2 measly bites. By the end of the meal unfortunately we were trying so hard not to laugh at their discomfort, that we could no longer enforce the said 3 bite minimum penalty. 2 would have to suffice. Poor things. If my self esteem was weaker, I may have even cried a little over such a disastrous turn out, but hey! As the hubs said, 
"Just don't make it again". 
Hmmmm, good idea. At least not until they are old enough to appreciate such refined tastes like mine. Now what to do about the hubs lack of creativity, I am at a loss for. Oh well, to try again tomorrow! At least the mediterranean salad was a hit (for us anyway), and I will graciously include the dressing recipe for you, since that was our biggest/only dinner success tonight!



     Citrus and Mild Red Chile Dressing
                 (courtesy of The Healthy Kitchen, by Andrew Weil & Rosie Daley)

8 sun dried tomatoes (packed in water not oil) 
3/4 c hot water (soak the tomatoes in the water for about 20 min)
1/4 c extra virgin olive oil (or 1/4 c apple juice)
1 tsp chili powder
1 clove garlic
2 tbsp orange juice concentrate
1/4 c apple cider vinegar
1 tsp natural soy sauce (like tamari) or a low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 tsp ground fresh pepper

Blend tomatoes after soaking. Then add additional ingredients and blend till creamy. Toss with spinach, feta cheese, kalamata olives, and sunflower seeds. Garnish with additional fresh ground pepper if desired.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I have ever had Polenta...hmmm, do I dare now?! :P

    ReplyDelete

blogger templates | Make Money Online