ThinkExist Dynamic daily quotation

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Make Some Muesli Today!

     And what is Muesli you may ask? Deliciousness. In a bowl. And according to good ‘ol Merriam-Webster, it is not only a breakfast cereal of Swiss origin, but an actual German/Swiss word whose root not only means food, but is ‘akin’ to the Old English word mete, meaning “Meat”. Now I know you all did not read this for a grammar lesson, but I just had to share this random and possibly superfluous tidbit of information for two reason; 
      1) I happen to love language “using big words makes me feel smart” spoken with sort of a country/hick twang
      2) “Meat” really describes the crux of this breakfast, it is full of good grains, proteins, fruit, and all sorts of nutrients


     Now to get down to the “Meat” of this whole long story...(redundant much?!) I grew up with Muesli (okay okay, I had it for the first time when I was 9 and we moved to Germany). But we soon grew to love it, and making it ourselves was the cheapest way to feed 5 kids and 2 adults cereal on a regular basis. I stumbled across the idea again when I ran out of cereal at home for the boys and myself. We had corn flakes, some leftover frosted flakes, and a little stale Kashi granola type stuff. Nothing fun by itself, but mixed together in just the right amounts, and you have a pleasing configuration of food that, quite frankly, I go nuts over! 




     Muesli Morning Breakfast Mix


4 - 6 cups corn flakes
1 - 2 cups frosted flakes
1/2 - 1 cup granola type cereal
1 - 2 cups random flake grain cereal (like some kind of flax plus thing, basically whatever is left in your pantry)
1/2 - 1 cup raisins
1/2 - 1 cup small chopped dates
1 - 1 1/2 cups quick rolled oats
1/2 - 1 cup chopped/slivered raw almonds (I did my own by cracking a bunch of raw almonds with a spoon)
Cinnamon if desired 


     Believe it or not, it combines great! Take a big bowl, dump everything in, stir it all up, and store in an old giant corn flake box or tupperware container. I actually have mine with almond milk, as I am discovering how lactose intolerant I am. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

blogger templates | Make Money Online